Saturday 16 June 2012

Oycs drop in

16th June - a windy day, dry in the morning with some showers in the afternoon.  2 Oystercatchers were reported early afternoon - I had missed the only Oyc of the year so far a couple of months ago, so was keen to see these - not unusual here, but not common.  I wondered whether these 2 might have been failed breeders, as a few local pairs seem to have been washed out with all the wet weather so far this year.  Anyway, as it was, I could only make a brief visit late afternoon when the weather was decidedly showery and a bit gloomy.  1 Oystercatcher was immediately obvious on the spit, so I took a record shot, but the other bird was nowhere to be seen, so I assumed that it had flown off.  The remaining bird was lame in its right leg and was often standing on the left or sitting down.  A report of 2 birds again at 7pm, so where the second bird was whilst I was there I'm not sure - maybe an adjacent pit.  Anyway, a welcome addition to the year list.


The adult LBB Gull with black G:K was again present, but no sign of any YL Gulls at this time.  A Hobby also flew through.

No comments:

Post a Comment