Tuesday 16 October 2012

Late Hobby

16th October - a bright day bit with quite a strong westerly wind blowing.  All the usual suspects were present, but I was pleased to see a juvenile Hobby hawking over the NE side of the pit mid morning, which is getting a little late.  I watched it catch a few things (not sure what) and transfer them from talon to beak before it gained height and drifted off high to the ESE, probably being taken by the wind.  I guess that will be it for this species now until next Spring.

On the way back to the car, a Coal Tit called and flew out of the cottage gardens and was then quite vocal for the next few minutes.  For a species which is generally scarce here, I have now had quite a few sightings over the past few weeks - very possibly the same lingering individual.  It might well be coming to fat balls put out in the cottage garden.

I paid a quick early afternoon visit prior to school pick-up.  I've mentioned before that this time of day seems to be good for picking up the scarcer gulls, as they seem to drop in about this time.  Today, my reward was a nice adult winter Med Gull.  I'll have to tot up how many of this species have been seen at the pit so far this year, but it must be getting on for 10 different birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment