Thursday 28 February 2013

Pintail reach double figures

28th February - a quick check before work this morning.  A Tawny Owl was calling on my way in, which is new for the year.  Otherwise, a notable increase in the presence of immature LWHG - I'm still hoping that this will draw in the Iceland Gull that's utilising the nearby Hedgerley landfill - mainly Herring Gulls and some LBBG today.  The regular Pintail were lurking around the base of the island and on closer inspection, I could see 3 pairs plus some other males - there haven't been 3 females before this period and with a bit of searching and a walk to the SW corner for a better view, I could see that a further pair had joined the regular 8 birds, so now 10 birds on site - not bad! 7 males and 3 females.

The Snipe continue to hide themselves in the reed bed and have not been at all obvious since the weather turned cold again.  A pair of Shelduck are still on site.

I made a return visit at 3pm to look at the gull pre-roost.  A 1w Med Gull was immediately obvious standing on one of the near sections of spit.  However, it managed to lose itself before I could take a record shot and then the whole flock was put up by something unseen and most of the gulls departed.  With time marching on, that put paid to gull watching for the day, so I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment