Tuesday 7 May 2013

More Wood

7th May - probably the hottest day of the year so far.  A morning visit showed me that it was all quiet on the migrant front - just a Common Sand and 2 LRPs representing the waders and 3 Shelduck.  Another visit in the early afternoon found exactly the same - I did attempt to string a/the distant Common Sand feeding in a peculiar manner gently picking flies off the mud - in the heat haze, it bore a passing resemblance to a Wood Sand, but this didn't last for too long!

Whilst cooking dinner in the evening, I received a text from regular stalwart Alan S, saying that there was now a Wood Sand on the spit - what a coincidence!  I had to finish my culinary delights, but then left mine warming in the oven, whilst I took an unusual evening jaunt to the pit to join Alan S, Malcolm P, Simon P and Jim R to admire the newly arrived beauty.  Luckily it was feeding on the near spit and gave very good scope views.  Unfortunately, the light was dipping, so record shots became more difficult - my best rubbish attempt is below.  Thankfully, Jim R has a rather better set up than me so managed much better and has allowed me to show a couple of his.

Best of a bad bunch!

Much better, courtesy Jim Rose

And another by Jim Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment