Tuesday 16 July 2013

Juvenile Gulls

16th July - I made 2 visits today, a brief one in the morning and again in the early afternoon prior to school pick-up.  As I arrived in the morning, Oystercatchers were making a right din and 3 birds were chasing each other around the spit.  Eventually 1 flew off west and some time later it or another bird flew off west, still leaving 2 birds, so whether there were 3 or 4 birds present, I'm not sure.  There was a single adult and single juvenile LRP and an adult YL Gull, though the numbers of gulls, particularly BHG was down - they tend to build during the day.  I was pleased to see 3 juvenile LBB Gulls - my first juvenile LWHG of the season.

In the afternoon, it was absolutely baking, almost 30 degrees C!  Immediately on arrival, a quick scan of the now much larger BHG flock found a nice juvenile Med Gull - my first juvenile of this species at this site.  I made my way quickly to the viewpoint and grabbed a record shot - just in time, as soon after, for no apparent reason, it took off on its own and flew off west.


There were still 2 Oycs present, but now 3 LRPs, with this morning's 2 joined by another juvenile - nice to see some breeding success from somewhere.

The adult YL Gull was still on the spit, panting in the heat with the other gulls, though I could now see 4 juvenile LBB Gulls.  The recent CR BHGs were represented by yesterday's French bird black R34A, the Lithuanian bird black P430 and the probable Danish bird white 6EC.


Must get the first returning Greenshank soon and hopefully Black-tailed Godwit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment