Monday 25 November 2013

A couple of yellow-legs

25th November - a brief lunchtime visit, cool and overcast.  One of the first birds I noticed was an interesting looking 1st winter LWHG standing up to its belly just off the near spit.  It was a 1st winter Yellow-legged Gull - we don't get a lot of these at this time of year and this is the first of this age since the summer.  I went to the viewpoint to try and grab a record, but I struggled with sharpness in the low light:

Also on the spit was a Dunlin that has been seen on and off over the past week and the continuing Oystercatcher

I could see that the majority of the LWHG and those beginning to fly in, were on the far side of the far spit.  This is partially obscured with vegetation, so I walked around to SE corner so that I could view them.  Funnily enough, amongst these was another 1st winter Yellow-legged Gull, which at first I thought was the original bird having flown over, but when I walked back, that was still in its original position, so two 1st winter YLG - nice!  These birds are too far away to get any worthwhile shots.  There were also 5 GBBG, 4 adults and a 2nd winter, so a few more coming in.

I didn't have the time or inclination to count the ducks, but it was obvious that Pochard have increased significantly since my last visit, with birds in their favoured area on the west side and also with the Tufties on the NE side.

No comments:

Post a Comment