Friday 14 March 2014

Foggy start

14th March - the fog was heavy in the Thames valley this morning, so I delayed my visit.  Even so, whilst it was sunny in my garden, when I arrived at the pit, visibility was still poor.  I gave it some time to clear, especially because I had heard a Redshank call from the spit area, a year tick.  It lifted enough to see that the pair of Garganey were still on the near side of the spit, but then rolled back in again.  It was taking too long and I got bored, so left for the Pump Lane paddocks that I was sure would be fog free.  They were.  No hoped for Wheatear, but a small flock of about 15 Meadow Pipits was evidence of some passage - most of these flew north after a while.

Heron in the gloom

I returned to a nice sunny pit around midday.  The Garganey were once again showing well and the regular pair of Shelduck were nearby.  No Redshank was visible, however, after a few minutes one called and I saw it flying in from the south being chased by a Crow.  It had presumably been on the meadow.  It tried to land on the spit, but eventually flew low out of sight towards the NE side, where it looked to have landed.

I checked out the meadow, with no reward and continued to the SE corner - 2 singing Chiffchaffs on the south bank were presumably migrants.  From the SE corner, I could see the Redshank distantly, it was roosting right up in the NE corner of the spit.  No Pintail were visible and I suspect that they may have departed.

Back at the west bench, another Chiffchaff was singing, possibly the regular Winter bird, as it favoured this area.  It was also nice to see a gathering of LWHG again, possibly 30 birds, mainly Herring.  One was a NTGG bird, orange MZ3T - a new one for me and this site, it will have been ringed at either Rainham or Pitsea landfills.

No comments:

Post a Comment