Monday 21 April 2014

Wet weather Marshy

April 20th - there was an expectation of passage today as the easterly winds continued and a wet front was forecast to move through during the afternoon.  During the early morning, many local sites had Arctic Terns plus a few Little Gulls, but my patch had nothing!  I was away during the day enjoying a nice family Easter lunch.  During this time, the weather turned very wet and gloomy.  However, it was clearing up nicely in the early evening, so having returned home, I decided to pay a visit to the pit to see if there had been any new arrivals.

I didn't arrive until gone 7pm and the first birds I saw were a summer plumaged Dunlin and a Little Ringed Plover - both new in, but neither particularly exciting.  At just after 7:30pm, I happened to look up and see a raptor that had passed over me relatively low.  It had flown in from the SW and was continuing to flap it way northwards.  It looked like a Marsh Harrier and through bins, I could see that it was in fact a lovely male.  I watched it fly ever northwards until it disappeared, however, given the time, I wondered where it might roost, as there wasn't much light left.

Nothing else arrived, but a nice end to Easter Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment