Wednesday 17 February 2016

Some nice ducks!

Apologies for the late post, but a whole week ago on the 10th, I was doing my usual rounds of the patch and not seeing much that was different.  I walked around to the southern bank so that I could look up to the NE side where the wildfowl seem to be hanging out this year, put my scope up to scan and almost immediately came across a lovely male Red-crested Pochard.  This is just about annual here, so I was very pleased to pick him up.  As I watched him through the scope, he swam in front of a loafing group of three Pintail, two males and a female.  Pintail are more regular, but still good to get on the list, so very pleased with two good species of wildfowl.  I'm still missing the infuriating Ring-necked Duck seen on Jan 2nd, Goosander and Goldeneye, so I keep hoping.

Record shots of the ducks plus a short video of the RCP, which was very distant so hard to get a good photo of.



The RCP video is here

Earlier that day, I had seen a nice 2nd winter Caspian Gull standing with six Great Black-backed Gulls on the spit, presumably a remnant of the previous night's roost.  No sooner had I espied it than it took off and flew away, so unfortunately no record shots of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment